Saturday, January 23, 2010

My Top Six Interests

I have had many interests over the years - some have faded (genetics, eastern religions, sociobiology, Fortean phenomena) others have grown (parenting philosophy, global warming science, debunking pseudoscience and macroeconomics) but the following big six have been with me some time and continue to excite my passions. These are:

1. Physics

I am a physics teacher and have been enthralled by the science for close on to 25 years now. My current specific sub-interests include concept clarification within classical physics and early modern physics, cosmology, Theories of Everything , the history of physics and the congruence between physics and philosophy.

2. History

I have focused on developing a strong overall understanding of the discipline (see my book) from a generalist perspective since age 6 but even generalists have their preferences. For me it is the History of the Twentieth Century (with particular emphasis on WWII and the Cold War), The French Revolution/Napoleon as well as the Period of Roman History that spans the first 12 Caesars. I also have an inclination towards understanding the development and application of political philosophy (a zest that at times spills over for me into contemporary politics).


3. Psychometrics

Chief interest here is the measure of intelligence as well as the influence of nature/nurture factors on the development of intelligence. This has intrigued me since age 16.

4. The Future of the Human Race

Science fiction sparked my interest in this field, which also drove me to write A History of the Future. Again this has been a long time passion driven by the writings of HG Wells and Jules Verne, the universes of Isaac Asimov and Larry Niven and the dystopias of Judge Dredd and Rogue Trooper. Of late I have started looking into the work of Olaf Stapledon.

5. Sports

I have at times (and still do with some) followed baseball, hockey, boxing, rugby, tennis, athletics and cricket closely but none can rival my love for soccer. My specific focus is on the English game but I adore the internationalism of the World Cup, the European Championship and the Champions League.

6. Self Betterment

This involves understanding my purpose for being, developing a relationship with G-d, doing whats best for my family and acting with defined ethics and meaning that demonstrates an extension of my sense of self.

No comments: