Monday, March 24, 2008

Why I like Batman......

For me Batman is the greatest of the DC Comics superheroes. Far superior to Superman and way ahead of the Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow and the Hawk. It was the universe in which the dark night existed that drew me to the Gotham City avenger. Batman has no powers other than his wit and physical prowess, yet he faces and defeats villains who were seemingly larger than life. There is a depth to Bruce Wayne’s world that escapes that of Clarke Kent’s. I appreciate this. Once when deconstructing the Gotham Universe I was hit by a strange idea, Batman’s villains all take something benign such a s a joke, a riddle, a cat and a penguin, and twist them into evil entities as represented by their respective villains. It is this perversion of the ordinary that makes these villains so frightening. All faith in what should be harmless is destroyed overridden by the diabolical.

No comments: