Thursday, March 30, 2006

New Scientist Magazine

As a self confessed Science geek especially when it comes to Physics, Psychometrics and Evolutionary Psychology, I have Found New Scientist (NS) to be an excellent read. I am into my fifth year of subscription and intend to renew next year as well.

What differentiates NS from competitor publications Scientific American, American Scientist, Discover etc is the openess of the magazine to new ideas that are on the edge of scientific examination. A recent article on obtaining energy from Iron was such an example as were some thought exercises on greater than light speed travel.

This does not mean that the magazine ventures into Fortean absurdities of werewolves and demons, but it challenges the reader to question the current scientific dogma.

This for me is the healthy aspect of science. The feature that makes it dynamic. It is what drew me into the pursuit of knowledge in the first place.

Kudos to the magazine.

No comments: