Monday, March 27, 2006

Moore and Columbine

I was digging through my old blogs and I found this one on Bowling for Columbine. It is as pertinent now as it was once then.

I don’t know who Mike Moore paid to win his Oscar but there is no way that Bowling for Columbine deserves this title. Look I am not pro-NRA, not by a long shot, but if you are going to profile an issue, at least give near equal coverage for both sides of the argument.
Moore fails hopelessly on this account. His documentary is so one-sided that it could be used as a propaganda flick for the gun control lobby. Objectivity is completely missing as Moore skews for his own gain a controversy which is way more complicated than ‘Columbine’ lets us believe. What hurts me is not so much Moore’s depiction of his universe but the fact that so many ‘intelligent’ people fell hook, line and sinker for his interpretation of events, especially his comical, selectively edited interview with an obviously mentally compromised, Charleton Heston. Are we so willing to see our believes championed that we will settle for cheap showmanship and circus tricks that masquerade under the umbrella of a ‘documentary’ ?

No comments: